Monday, September 24, 2007

Authority

It's not often that I blog about really religious matters. I purposefully try to stay away from it for a variety of reasons. But, over the past week I have experienced and witnessed something that has really bothered me to the core. And, it did not directly effect me, so I don't know why it has bothered me so much. Without getting into the specifics about what I witnessed, I will simply say that it involved a case of refusing to submit to church authority. Pastor X told Congregant Y to do Action Z. Congregant Y out and out told Pastor X that he or she was not going to do Action Z. And, please quit trying to figure out who I am talking about. It is not obvious and is probably not who you are thinking (i.e. a certain children's pastor).

So, all weekend I have been thinking about "church authority" and when a person, if ever, should outright refuse to submit to church authority. I am sure some of my readers will have their own opinions on this matter, but my feeling is that church authority should always be followed SO LONG AS the authority figure are (a). telling us to do things which are within their sphere of authority and (b). are following the commandments and not "against" anything set forth in the Bible.

The Bible aslo states that God establishes the authority and to disobey the authority is to disobey God. If a pastor tells me to do something, and it is in line with what I know about the Bible and God and is within that pastor's sphere of authority, I hope that I will comply and submit to the authority. Now, obviously if my pastor was a cult leader, I would not submit. If my pastor was preaching against the Bible and twisting Biblical law, I would not submit.

As Spiderman would say, with great authority comes great responsibility. (Hebrews 13:7 and 17). I believe pastors will one day have to account for their actions and their guidance. That is a resposibility I know must of my pastor friends take seriously and a burden I would not want to carry.

Those who know me know that I enjoy children's church and Wednesday night children's services. Now, if my pastor told me he was led by God to discontinue all children's services and have all the kids go to the adult service, I would simply find another church where children were important if it was that important to me. I would not outright refuse authority. Who am I to say God did not tell my pastor that? (Don't read into that either -- it is just an example).

I know this is not fully developed, but I am not writing a term paper so I think I am excused (hopefully). You may want to add to this or tell me I have lost my mind. That's okay, too.

1 comment:

Robert said...

I would have to agree with you. Plan on calling you later this afternoon.

And not that it matters, but Uncle Ben told Spiderman that line and it was with great "power" I believe...but it still served you post well :)