Saturday, November 26, 2005

Back Home

Well, we are back home from our Thanksgiving trip to the in-laws. It was not as bad as I thought it would be, but it could have been better. I won't dwell on it too much.

There has been something bothering me that I thought I would share. Last Sunday morning I helped in my church's children's department. One of the kids came up to me during prayer time and asked that I pray about something in particular (that I won't share here). Basically he was afraid his mom would go "to the devil" because of something she did.

Now, what she did was not a "sin" and is not something I believe she would go to hell for (though other denominations would probably disagree with me). I think some relative is probably making this kid believe something about his mom that is simply not true -- contorting scripture to make this kid think that his mom is bad and going to hell. I did not really know how to explain to this kid in the short amount of time that I had that his mom did not sin, so I said a simple prayer with him asking God to give him understanding.

So here comes my problem that has been bothering me all week. I know this kids mother. Should I say anything to her about her son's prayer request? I am sure she could help explain things to her son and help ease his fears about it. But, it was a private prayer request shared with me only and I do not want to lose this kid's trust. I don't want him to think that I will go off and tell his parents everytime he wants to pray about something.

Writing all this down has made me realize the solution. I think I will just talk to this kid in church again and try to explain that his mom did not sin. That way I don't lose his trust and my mind will be at ease that he is not sitting at home scared that his mom will go to hell.

Thanks for listening though...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with not mentioning anything to the mother. Besides the whole trust factor, telling could make things worse all around (ie - mother confronts the relative that is telling her son these things and the whole situation blows up).

Wether whatever this lady did is or isn't a sin shouldn't matter. This could be an opportunity to tell the kid how we are all sinners and saved (and forgiven) only through the blood of Christ. Not one person is perfect...we all make our mistakes. But we have a Father who loves us and can forgive us. We all have hope in Him.